Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oh No! The Cattle Are Out!

This morning, as my sleepy husband was sitting on the couch yawning, with one sock in his hand, I looked out the window and exclaimed "Oh no!, the cattle are out!". Hubby jerked and jumped up, running towards the kitchen door. I barely had time to say "April Fools!" before he ran out barefoot. Needless to say, I got a few playful lashes with the sock. The really funny part of this is that I do it every year - and he falls for it every year! It's really not very fair since I come from a family of practical jokesters and he just doesn't have the experience to keep up. I'm staying on alert for the rest of the day, though!

I'm surprised I haven't heard from my daughter. A few years ago I got a phone call from a lady saying she lived not too far from me and that my horses were in her yard. It was fairly early and I had to throw on some clothes and just as I headed out the door, the phone rang. I almost ignored it, but then decided to answer. My sweet daughter exclaims "April Fools"! I actually started to tell her that I needed to go, the horses were out, when it hit me. She had had a nurse she works with call me. Ok, I know I probably deserved that! Especially since I had played almost the exact same joke on her a few years before when she still lived at home. It's the only time I ever remember her leaping out of bed that fast! It's nice to know the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree!

A little humor and laughter is good for us all, and when someone gives you the opportunity to laugh at yourself as well, we all benefit! (Hope my hubby thinks of it that way!)

No comments: