Saturday, February 28, 2009

Can I Be Grandma to Cows?


A couple of years ago we lost a couple of cows that had month old calves. Since they were too little to wean I got the job of bottle feeding them. I like to do that with heifers, cuz I know we can keep them. There's not much future for steers here! Anyway, these two little girls did great and were turned back out with the herd last summer to take their place as cows. They aren't as tame as they used to be, but will let me get pretty close and sometimes give them a scratch.
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, on the coldest (seemed like) night of the winter they both decided to calve at nearly the same time. The first one, "Uno", got along fine, but when we checked in the early morning, "Ebony" had just had hers and instead of drying off, it's hair was completely frozen!!! Got them all into a barn with some heat and dried off and they are doing great. I watch them racing around in circles and playing with the other calves and I have to say, I do feel a little bit of grandmotherly pride!
Just another thing I like about country life and being a "cowgirl".

No comments: